We, as participants from diverse religious congregations across India, convened
at NBCLC for an intensive counselling course spanning from the 20th to the
27th of July 2023. The group consisted of 43 attendees, comprising 5 priests
and 38 nuns. The inaugural session was initiated with a prayer and the lighting
of the Lamp. This was succeeded by a warm welcome by Fr. Nysson, the
Assistant Director, who introduced the gathering to the distinguished resource
person, Sr. Juliana Pinto UFS. The participants were segmented into 5 groups,
each assigned with distinct responsibilities and tasks. Comprehensive guidelines
were dispensed to ensure a comfortable and enriching sojourn within the
The daily schedule was started with meditation followed by the celebration of the Eucharist. Each day was structured around three morning sessions and two in the afternoon. The closure of the day was marked by an evening prayer and the recitation of the rosary, encapsulating a moment of gratitude for the day's blessings. Subsequently, participants engaged in rejuvenating recreational activities, characterized by engaging games and entertainment, held from 8:15 PM to 9:00 PM.
Under the erudite guidance of Sr. Juliana Pinto UFS, whose extensive expertise in the realm of counselling was underscored by years of experience, an array of fundamental points were meticulously emphasized over the course of eight days. Rooted in the theoretical foundations of Carl Rogers and Robert Ellis, the sessions expounded upon and underscored:
- The Significance of Counselling
- The Relevance of Proper Posture during Counselling
- The Imperative of Personal Healing for Effective Counselling
- The Relevance of Verbal and Non-verbal Behaviour Awareness in Client Interaction
- The Art of Being an Attentive and Comforting Listener
- The Essential Personal Attributes of a Competent Counsellor
- The Spectrum of Skills and Techniques in the Counselling Process
- The Maintenance of Emotional Resilience and Empathy in the Face of Client Distress
- A Comprehensive Grasp of Counselling Stages and Theoretical Frameworks, along with their Implications
- Facilitating the Discovery of Inner Resources and Encouraging Non- judgmental Engagement
Additionally, insightful elucidations were offered on:
- The Functions of the Brain and the Neurochemical Dynamics Underpinning Mood Regulation
- Effective Mood Management and Handling Crisis Situations within Counselling Sessions
The academic discourse was harmoniously interspersed with practical demonstrations and interactive hands-on exercises. Each participant had the opportunity to assume dual roles of both counsellor and client, fostering a more immersive learning experience.
Participants actively engaged in dialogue, unreservedly raising queries and offering their perspectives, thus fostering an interactive and vibrant learning atmosphere. The pedagogical arsenal was enriched by the inclusion of various techniques, including breathing exercises, inspirational audio-visual aids, and the screening of the film "A Beautiful Mind."
The culmination of the seminar was marked by the conferment of course certificates by Fr. John Baptist, the Director, and Sr. Juliana Pinto. Fr. Emmanuel OFM Cap concluded the event by extending a vote of thanks. The seminar concluded with a group photo session followed by a sumptuous meal, as attendees dispersed to their respective communities.